This program is intended for students who would like to improve their employability skills and/or who are lacking either the academic courses or the required grades to meet the admission requirements for entry into most CNA Industrial Trades programs. The Trades Bridging program also provides a valuable “refresher” for mature students who have been away from education, training and/or the workforce for some time.
contains courses that enable students to form a foundational understanding of Industrial Trades and develop their fundamental academic skills. Semester 2
further develops academic skills while empowering the student to enter two Industrial Trade areas where they will learn, practice, and strengthen their confidence and competence in these areas.
Students in the Trades Bridging program will be provided the opportunity to gain a wide range of knowledge and skills in preparation for further post-secondary training and/or employment in a trades environment. In addition to courses in English, mathematics, and science, students will participate in courses ranging from Standard First Aid to introductory courses investigating trades such as Carpenter, Electrician, and Heating Systems Technician. For example, the certification course covering Fall Protection and Confined Spaces provide students with the opportunity to develop safe working skills necessary for successful learning in specific Industrial Trades programs. Graduates of Trades Bridging will qualify for admission into the vast majority of the Industrial Trade programs or for admission into the Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Transition program.
Upon successful completion of the program, graduates will be able to:
- Explore pathways to enter Industrial Trades programs at College of the North Atlantic (CNA).
- Demonstrate an awareness of the occupations in industrial trades and program options at CNA.
- Acquire introductory skills, knowledge, and competencies in industrial trades.
- Explore provincial and national industrial trade labour market information, trends, and projections.
- Demonstrate practical hands-on experience in a variety of industrial trade training environments.
- Conduct career planning and job searches to advance employability skills.
- Demonstrate academic skills, particularly in the areas of English, mathematics, and science.
- Employ learning habits and strategies needed to succeed in post-secondary programs
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meeting the following criteria:
1. High School Graduation, or equivalent; OR
2. Students must be 19 years of age at the commencement date of the program, and have a minimum of Grade 9 completion, or equivalent.
3. Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, are 19 years at the time of application, and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student requirements; for more information regarding Mature Student requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission
International Applicants – English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.)
If language proficiency test other than those reference above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
: Some programs may require English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.