The Tourism & Hospitality Essentials program provides an overview of the tourism and hospitality industry in Newfoundland and Labrador and provides the option of a pathway to our credit programs. This program can put you on the path to a very rewarding and adventurous career!
The Tourism & Hospitality Essentials program focuses on the development of the most in-demand tourism related knowledge and skills. The courses are designed to give you an overview of the industry and provide the introductory training, skills and certifications needed to be successful in entry level positions in the sector.
The Tourism Essentials program is closely associated with the College’s tourism & hospitality offering of courses and feeds directly into tourism & hospitality programs. The successful completion of the Tourism Essentials program will enable participants to gain specific prior learning recognition which may be used in our Tourism & Hospitality Services certificate and Tourism & Hospitality diploma programs.
These objectives and outcomes are to:
1. Identify the tourism industry sectors and explain their interdependence
2. Identify the impact of trends, issues, and sustainability have on the social, cultural, and economic development within the tourism industry
3. Enhance interpersonal and customer service skills in a professional manner
4. Provide learning opportunities to support safe practice of daily operations of a tourism and hospitality business as a skilled team member.
Students must possess a valid Emergency First Aid CPR certification to be eligible to complete Tourism & Hospitality Essentials.
Note: Students may be expected to incure costs associated with the completion of the Emergency First Aid CPR certification.
Eligibility for admission requires:
1. The applicant must possess grade 10 or the equivalent.
2. Individuals over 19, not meeting this criterion, may be considered under the Mature Student Requirements.
3. English as a second language speakers must provide proof of English language skills (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).