College of North Atlantic will be offering a 16-week Skills Transition at Placentia Campus from January 31 to May 20, 2022. The program is designed for youth ages 18-30 who are in need of assistance to transition to education and work. The program will enable youth to explore career paths, and to obtain and keep employment. This program is for youth who are not in employment, education or training (NEET) at the time of enrollment, and minimum of Grade 9 education.
The Skills Transition Program consists of 12 weeks of paid classroom training and 4 weeks of paid on-the-job training. In addition, all material, supplies, workbooks and textbooks are provided, including Personal Protective Equipment. Students are also eligible for a completion bonus of $650.00
The goals of the program are:
1. To provide the life skills and assertiveness training necessary to enable NEET youth to compete successfully in training and employment.
2. To assist NEET youth to develop an awareness of the full range of possible occupations available to them.
3. To provide labour market information, career planning, and job search skills to assist NEET participants in making informed career choices.
4. To assist NEET youth in developing Strategies for dealing with the multiple roles of working.
5. To provide basic academic upgrading in numeracy and literacy to enable NEET participants to pursue further training and employment options.
6. To provide hands-on skills development for a wide range of occupations.
7. To provide hands-on work experience to encourage a realistic consideration of potential work environments.
8. To enhance employer knowledge with regards to NEET youth.