In this red seal program Sheet Metal Workers fabricate, assemble, install and repair sheet metal products. You will use many types of metal including black and galvanized steel, copper, brass, nickel, stainless steel, aluminum and tin place to make products such as: pollution control systems, dust collection and control systems, air-slides, material blowers, heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems, solar heating and cooling systems, metal showcases, metal cabinets, flashing, coping, troughing and roof drainage systems. Some of the duties include:
- Lay out, measure and mark dimensions and reference lines
- Utilize drawings and templates
- Use laser and plasma cutting equipment, numerical controlled and computerized equipment
- Cut, drill, punch, bend and shape sheet metal using hand and power shears and snips
- Fasten components using bolts, screws, cement, rivets, adhesives, solder, or welding
- Install and repair sheet metal products in accordance with building code requirements
- Demonstrate safe work practices and personal protection.
- Use and maintain tools, machines and equipment.
- Use scaffolds, hoists, slings and ladders.
- Determine project requirements.
- Develop patterns using various methods.
- Fabricate parts using hand tools, power tools, and power operated equipment.
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation
2. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with General College Profile (or Business Related College Profile or Degree and Technical Profile). It is strongly recommended that courses include the following:
i. Mathematics 1102A, 1102B, 1102C and 2102A, 2102B, 2102C or 3102A, 3102B and 3102C
ii. Science 3101, 3102, 3103
3. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Trades) Certificate
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission.
5. International Applicants – English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).
If a language proficiency test other than those referenced above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
Note: Some programs may require specific English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.
Graduates may find employment in the following areas:
- Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning Companies
- Steel Producers
- Metal Producers
- Exterior Construction firms