Orientation to Trades and Technology (OTT) is a 16-week program developed in conjunction with Women in Resource Development Corporation (WRDC) to give women a practical experience of natural resource-based industries. The program aims to raise the awareness that challenging, high-paying jobs in the natural resources industries are available and attainable for women.
The program is designed to create a safe and supportive environment for women to explore trades and technology training programs while concurrently developing essential skills to advance their professional careers.
The goals of the program are:
REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
- To provide the life skills and assertiveness training necessary to enable women to compete successfully in training and employment
- To assist women to develop an awareness of the full range of possible occupations in the trades and technology fields
- To provide labour market information, career planning and job search skills to assist participants in making informed career choices
- To assist women to develop strategies for dealing with the multiple roles of working women
- To provide basic academic upgrading in math, science and communication skills, to enable participants to pursue further training and employment options
- To provide hands on skills development with tools and equipment in a training shop setting for a wide range of trades and technologies
- To provide hands-on work experience in industry to encourage a realistic consideration of potential work environments
- It is recommended cadidates have High School completion or equivalent OR
- Candidates who have not completed High School or equivalent can be accepted upon the recommendation of WRDC's Career and Employment Specialist