This Workforce Opportunities program is a sector-specific, skills-based program designed to provide a safe and supportive place to develop essential and workplace skills, in addition to sector specific courses and training for the employment as a Home Care Assistant.
The three-semester Workforce Opportunities (two semesters + Work Placement) – Home Care Assistant is designed for students who possess a drive to provide genuine care to people. Home Care Assistants have a positive impact on the individuals they care for and have an integral role in the team-based approach to home care. With an increasing demand for home care, the Workforce Opportunities program provides the skills, professionalism, and adaptability required to succeed in this dynamic and challenging field.
Upon successful completion of the Workforce Opportunities - Home Care Assistant program, graduates will be able to:
1. Demonstrate the self-confidence and technical skills necessary for success in training and employment in the health sector
2. Understand the needs of residents within home care facilities
3. Communicate with residents using effective verbal and non-verbal communication
4. Assist in the delivery of the various forms of personal care for residents
5. Employ critical thinking skills to help problem solve issues that arise in home care
6. Identify, document and communicate changes in residents to ensure a continuity of care
1. Eligible participants include those with a minimum of grade 10 completion.
2. English as a second language speakers must provide proof of English language skills (e.g. IELTS 6.0; CAEL 60; MELAB 78; TOEFL 550*) or equivalency.
3. Students must obtain a criminal records check (certificate of conduct and vulnerable sector check).
REQUIREMENTS FOR CLINICAL PLACEMENT (Semester 3)
Pre-Placement requirements are outlined in affiliation agreements between CNA and our clinical partners. As a part of this process, students should obtain copies of their personal immunization records as early as possible to assist in the completion of the “Student Pre-Placement Immunizations and Communicable Diseases Screening Form” , and applicable waivers. Students must also be willing to obtain a criminal record check (certificate of conduct and vulnerable sector check) plus all other requirements outlined by the clinical partners for placement purposes.