This Workforce Opportunities program is a sector-specific, skills-based program designed to provide a safe and supportive place to develop essential and workplace skills, in addition to sector specific courses and training for employment as a Help Desk Assistant.
With an increasing demand for IT Support, the Workforce Opportunities program provides the skills, professionalism, and adaptability required to succeed in this dynamic and challenging field.
The three-semester Workforce Opportunities (2 semesters + Work placement) – Help Desk Assistant is designed for students, who want to enhance their career opportunities. Computers are a prerequisite for employment in a variety of fields and by combining theoretical and practical learning experiences in a team-oriented setting, it will enable graduates to be successful.
With more and more computer-based systems in the workplace, there is a need for professionals who can link their computer expertise to the general needs of business. The program provides opportunities for the student to acquire the skills, professionalism and adaptability required to succeed in this dynamic and challenging field.
Upon successful completion of the Workforce Opportunities – Help Desk Assistant program, graduates will be able to:
1. Utilize effective workplace communication and interpersonal skills to support client relationships
2. Demonstrate self-confidence and the technical skills necessary for success in training and employment in the information technology sector
3. Assist clients in the installation, operation and maintenance of application software
4. Provide computer technical assistance, support, and advice to customers
5. Troubleshoot computer hardware and operating systems
6. Support local-area networks (LAN)
7. Provide technical support to computer users experiencing hardware and software difficulties
Eligible participants must possess the following:
1. The applicant must possess a minimum of grade 10 completion or the equivalent. Individuals over 19, not meeting this criterion, may be considered under the Mature Student Requirements.
2. English as a second language speakers must provide proof of English language skills e.g. IELTS 6.0; CAEL 60; MELAB 78; TOEFL 550* or equivalency.