Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades is designed for learners who will be 19 years of age at the commencement date of the program, and have a minimum of Grade 9 High School completion, or equivalent. The program is designed for learners who would like to improve their employability skills and/or who are lacking either the academic courses or the required grades to meet the admission requirements for entry into a College of the North Atlantic (CNA) Industrial Trades Program. The CAS Trades program also provides a valuable “refresher” for mature students who have been away from education, training and/or the workforce for some time.
Students in the CAS Trades program will be provided the opportunity to gain a wide range of knowledge and skills in preparation for further post-secondary training and/or employment in a trades environment. In addition to courses in English, Mathematics and Science, students will be exposed to courses ranging from Standard First Aid to introductory courses investigating trades such as Carpentry, Electrical, Plumbing and Welding. Courses such as Orientation to Safety provide students with the opportunity to develop safe working skills necessary for successful learning in a CNA Industrial Trades program. Graduates of this program will qualify for admission into one of 30 of the 34 Industrial Trade programs, or for admission into the CAS Transition program.
Upon successful completion of this one-year program, graduates will:
1. Have strengthened academic skills, particularly in the areas of English (reading comprehension; written and oral communications), Mathematics and Science.
2. Have introductory knowledge and foundation skills in the trades, particularly in the areas of safety, apprenticeship process, and introductory courses investigating trades such as carpentry, electrical, plumbing and welding fundamentals.
3. Have gained knowledge and skills in student success strategies and learning habits necessary for post-secondary programs.
4. Have gained employability skills, particularly introductory skills necessary to assist trade professionals.
5. Have the knowledge and skills necessary for entry in 30 of 34 Industrial Trades programs at the College (with the exceptions in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering Technician, Commercial Transport, Heavy Equipment Operator, and Mining Technician).
6. Have the knowledge and skills necessary for entry in the Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Transition program at the College.
7. Have explored options and interests for further post-secondary programs, particularly in the trades.
8. Have the career planning skills, such as résumé and portfolio development, to assist in achieving career goals.
Students must be at least 19 years of age at the commencement date of the program, and have a minimum of Grade 9 High School completion, or equivalent.
Applicants who do not meet the entrance requirements, are 19 years of age or older, and have been out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Learner Clause.
REQUIREMENTS FOR COMPLETION:
In order to complete the requirements of the Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades Certificate program, students must complete all courses listed below. Students must attain a mark of not less than 70% in every course in the program, unless specified as Pass/Fail. Students must also meet all qualification requirements for the awarding of a Certificate from the College.