Integrity in practice.
This technical field is critical across many industries to test the quality of manufactured materials to ensure the safety of the public and those performing the work in those industries.
Non-destructive testing (NDT) technicians are employed to accurately test items for potential flaws or failures using various NDT test methods such as liquid penetrant inspection, magnetic particle inspection, ultrasonic testing and radiography testing. They use these techniques to evaluate the properties of a material, component, structure, or system for flaws or welding defects without causing damage to the original part.
That is the advantage of this type of testing – the pieces being tested are left undamaged by the process and allows for an item to be repaired or replaced if problems are found. It is a very accurate method of inspection and provides a cost-effective way to ensure the integrity – and therefore safety – of the item before a malfunction occurs. With Canada’s stringent safety standards, companies are seeking out trained NDT technicians to enhance their quality assurance measures.
Through our Non-Destructive Testing Technician program, you will build the skills in high demand across industries such as manufacturing, construction, automotive, energy and aerospace. If you are detail-oriented, have excellent dexterity and mechanical skills and embrace the idea of physically demanding work, this program will prepare you for a productive, rewarding career.
With a commitment to excellence and innate pride in your work, you will help make the world a safer place.
- Prepares you to write the National Exams that are required by the Canadian General Standards Board
- Enhances your versatility in industry as you are trained in 4 core NDT fields including liquid penetrant inspection, magnetic particle inspection, ultrasonic testing and radiography testing
- Provides radiation safety training as required by national training standards
Did You Know?
- The Global Non-destructive Testing (NDT) Market is expected to reach approximately USD 23 billion expanding at a CAGR of around 6%, during the forecast period, 2020 – 2026.
- There is a global shortage of certified and skilled technicians to operate the advanced machinery for this testing
- There is a surging demand for NDT Technicians in the Aerospace and Oil & Gas industries
- Perform Liquid Penetrant Inspection.
- Perform Magnetic Particle Inspection.
- Carry out Ultrasonic Inspection.
- Carry out Radiographic Inspection.
- Demonstrate knowledge of Quality Assurance, Control Documentation and Reporting Systems for various industrial sectors.
- Develop attitudes conducive to the successful application of skills on the job.
- Develop an awareness and concern for good safety practices in the work place.
- Develop academic skills and knowledge in mathematics, communications, and science.
- Distinguish among various properties of metals with respect to their impact on NDT methods.
Eligibility for admission requires the applicant to meet one of the following academic criteria:
1. High School
High School Graduation
2. Adult Basic Education
Adult Basic Education (Level III) Graduation with General College Profile (or Business Related College Profile or Degree and Technical Profile). It is strongly recommended that courses include the following:
i. Mathematics 1102A, 1102B, 1102C and 2102A, 2102B, 2102C or 3102A, 3102B and 3102C
ii. Science 3101, 3102, 3103
3. Comprehensive Arts and Science (CAS) Trades
Comprehensive Arts and Science (Trades) Certificate
4. Mature Student Requirements
Applicants who do not meet the education prerequisites for this program, must be at least 19 years of age at the time of application and out of school for at least one year may be considered on an individual basis under the Mature Student Requirements; for more information regarding the Mature Student Requirements please refer to Procedure AC-102-PR Admission.
International Applicants – English Proficiency
All international applicants must meet the College’s English language proficiency requirements for acceptance into regular programs. The College will accept these recognized tests of English language proficiency (TOEFL paper based 550, TOEFL Internet based 79, TOEFL computer based 213 or equivalent, IELTS Academic Test overall band score of 6.0, or Pearson PTE 53 or greater, etc.).
If a language proficiency test other than those referenced above was used, applicants can forward for assessment.
If an international applicant has attended an educational institution (high school or post-secondary) for a period of three years or more where the official language of instruction was English, the English language proficiency test will not be required.
Note: Some programs may require specific English language requirements and proficiency scores that differ from those stated above; therefore international applicants are advised to please refer to the specific program admission requirements as identified in the College Calendar.